|“Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions.”|
|– Pablo Picasso|
Put on a red dress and you instantly feel happy and energized or pop open a sunny yellow umbrella and some of that sunniness will rub off on you.
This is because color has a psychological effect on you. Colors affect our emotions and moods. It is a powerful communication tool and can be used to signal action, influence mood, and cause physiological reactions.
Warm colors evoke emotions ranging from feelings of warmth and comfort to feelings of anger and hostility. Cool colors are often described as calm, but can also call to mind feelings of sadness or indifference.
Here are some of the properties and effects of the primary colors:
Red has the property of appearing nearer to you than any other color that is why is the first color to grab your attention. Red is lively, stimulating, and friendly color. But too much of red causes strain on the viewers eye and also comes across as aggressive. The best way to rock this color is by carrying a red clutch, donning a bright red polish on your nails or lining your lips in the right red.
Psychologically, blue is the opposite of red. Blue is the color of the mind and is essentially soothing; it affects us mentally, rather than the physical reaction we have to red. Strong blues will stimulate clear thought and lighter, soft blues will calm the mind and aid concentration. It is the color of clear communication. Blue conveys tranquility.
The right yellow will lift your spirits and your self-esteem; it is the color of confidence and optimism. Wearing yellow creates a very open atmosphere with people. Too much of yellow or the wrong tone in relation to the other tones in a color scheme, can cause self-esteem to go down and gives rise to fear and anxiety.
Let’s see what some colors can do for you if you wear them in your outfit or as part of your accessories:
- Blue is a great choice of color to wear for a job interview or while closing a deal because it is associated with trustworthiness, strength and dependability. Establish trust and credibility, then blueis best. It is the safest color of all, universally liked by most men and women.
- Appear friendly & approachable at work choose lighter colors such as mid tone bluesand greens, blue-greens and teal, and
- Red is a good color to go with if you want to appear assertive and/or get noticed, in occasions such as addressing a large group.
- Blue-greenis a good business color for women to wear, it suggests high self-esteem and confidence, yet is still friendly and approachable.
- To appear dependable, green is the color you want to go with, as it is a color of emotional balance.
- To appear professional with authoritative go with colors like dark blueor dark grey, which are the most business-like colors and good for credibility when promoting your business.
- For a romantic evening, go with pink or peach, it sets the mood for the evening. The colors will make you come across as approachable as well.
So next time you want to convey a message or change your mood, look at the colors you are wearing and what they’re doing for you.