Feeling good about oneself has a lot to do with Self-Image. Self-image is basically a view one has about themselves; it’s a mental image that one forms of themselves. Unfortunately in recent times, self-image for most people is gradually shifting from positive to negative. One’s self-image clearly reflects on their outer image as well. The better we feel about ourselves on the inside, the better we feel on the outside, and vice versa.
The creation of one’s self-image begins from a one’s formative years and the opinions, interactions, and experiences one has while growing up play an important role in developing one’s self-image.
Self-image is dynamic and can be changed from negative to positive. Changing one’s self-image directly impacts the way one feels, looks, and interacts with others around them.
Let’s take the example of someone who has an extremely positive and confident self-image. They feel good about themselves therefore, they reflect the way they feel through the way they dress and carry themselves. On seeing this positive behavior, confidence, and how sharp one looks, others behave more positively with them. This, in turn, makes the person feel even better and reinforces the positive self-image they have.
How does one promote positive self-image within one’s self? It’s an ongoing process, which usually takes some amount of effort till it becomes a more natural process. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Identify how you feel about yourself currently and if there is any negativity.
- Challenge any negativity that you may have about yourself.
- Learn to love and accept yourself however you are.
- Be comfortable with your body and who you are.
- Give yourself positive affirmations.
- Do things that make you happy, that make you smile and laugh.
- Don’t compare yourself to others; you are special in your own way.
- Be kind to yourself
- Forgive yourself if you carry the unnecessary burden of past mistakes.
- Know yourself and believe in yourself.